Skinny Chicken Parm — YES!
I absolutely L O V E Chicken Parmesan. That is my go-to when out at an Italian restaurant. Sometimes, those heavy dishes are simply worth the indulgence and calories they come with.
*Side Note: Some restaurant portions of chicken parm have up to 72 grams of FAT! To put this into perspective, check out MayoClinic’s article on how many grams of fat you should be consuming each day.
Other times, we are looking for that soul food that fills our tummy and tastes like heaven WITHOUT all the c r a p. You know me, I cook EASY, HEALTHY recipes. So when I found a “skinny” Chicken Parm recipe that I was able to tweak and make my own — I started mass producing it. Okay, not really…but we have a solid 3-4 servings at all times in the freezer for an easy reheat dinner mid week!
Ready for how easy this is?
6 small chicken breasts
3 slices sharp thick cut provolone
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
salt/pepper to taste
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 jar tomato sauce of choice
- Start with 6 small chicken breasts, fat trimmed. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray, and lay out your chicken breasts.
- Mix your spices together — garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Cover chicken breasts evenly with the spices.
4. Next, cover the chicken breasts with 1/2 a jar of tomato sauce. I prefer to use a low sugar option. Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese.
5. Take your 3 slices of thick cup provolone cheese and break each in half. Place half a slice of cheese on each chicken breast.
6. Evenly distribute the whole wheat bread crumbs over the cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan.
7. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. This is the secret to JUICY chicken breasts! Low temperature/long time frame = dry meat. High t
emperature/short time frame = juicy, tender meat!
8. Pair your Skinny Chicken Parm with a carbohydrate (suggested: brown or basmati rice) and a vegetable (suggested: spinach/onions, broccoli, green beans). Voila! An easy, quick, SKINNY, chicken dish with just enough indulgent ingredients to give you that soul food feel with less than half the fat and calories.
If you are looking for additional easy, healthy chicken dishes, check out these recipes!